- Use energy-efficient compact fluorescent (CFL)or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs, which are much more energy efficient than conventional light bulbs.
- Use motion-detector lights for outdoor lighting, they’re both convenient and efficient.
- Fluorescent tubes are an efficient way to light your workshop or playroom.
- Reduce the number of light bulbs on chandeliers or multi-bulb light fittings.
- Use inverter type air-conditioners, they are much more energy-efficient than conventional air-conditioners.
- Raise the temperature setting on air-conditioners by a few degrees (24 to 25 degrees Celsius is ideal).
- Use ceiling fans as an alternative to air-conditioning as they require no more electricity than a standard light bulb; switch the fan to rotate in a counter-clockwise direction to direct the air-flow downwards.
- Turn fans off when you leave as fans are designed to cool people, not rooms.
- Close exterior doors and windows when the air conditioning is on.
- Service your air-conditioners regularly and clean air filters at least once a month to keep your system running efficiently.
- Opening interior doors will allow cool air to flow throughout.
- Prevent the sun from overheating your home by using shades, blinds and drapes over windows. Awnings, trees and shrubs are effective outdoor sun shields.
- Choose energy-efficient appliances; Brunei Darussalam will soon introduce appliance labeling regulations with energy-efficiency ratings.
- Use microwaves or toaster-type ovens to cook or warm food as an alternative to conventional electric ovens.
- Minimize the time that oven doors are opened during cooking as the temperature can drop by as much as 25 degrees each time the oven door is opened.
- Set your refrigerator temperature between 1 and 3°C; use the power-save switch where available.
- Keep refrigerator door seals in good repair and change seals if you feel cold air around the closed door or if moisture is collecting.
- Keep your freezer full, it uses less energy than an empty one; to improve efficiency, consider filling your freezer with containers of water.
- Use clotheslines to dry your laundry instead of using tumble dryers.
- When using tumble dryers, dry several loads successively to ensure that the dryer heat is retained for the following load.
- Clean the dryer lint filter before every load to keep your dryer running efficiently.
- Avoid over-drying clothes.
- Fully load your washing machine whenever possible; when washing smaller loads, use less water.