Power Outage Safety Tips
- Always treat all electricity circuits as if they are live.
- Leave one light turned on to indicate when the power comes back on.
- Use battery-powered torches – always keep a torch and spare batteries in a handy place.
- Do not use candles as this may increase the risk of fire.
- Minimize the opening of the fridge or freezer as the contents will remain colder for longer if doors are kept closed.
- Use a portable generator with extreme caution and always use it outdoors in a well-ventilated area; connect appliances directly to the generator and NEVER connect the portable generator to your home electrical distribution board.